So last week came and went and I didn't get a blog fully written or posted because I had one sick kid and a ton of non-bus stuff going on. Then, as if I wasn't feeling behind enough the flu hit me like a ton of bricks and kept me in bed for three days. Since the baby and I are like Siamese twins the flu started to attack her and just as I was able to remain vertical for more than five seconds Nick was down. Taking care of the fam and my business in addition to writing a new curriculum for a childbirth education series my doula friend Abby and I are teaching together in April took precedent over the bus. So this post is very late, I'm sure no one but me really is upset about it but it feels better if I say sorry. I will be out there tomorrow putting up the rest of the window trim. As for the update, here goes it.
We scored some awesome, large, wood tables from a church for $10. each. I bought two because the old wood was too cool to pass up. I made the other side of the kitchen counter with it. I made my own stain so it looked aged, and kinda driftwoody. I'm really happy with how it came out. We contemplated doing both sides the same but in the end decided to keep the butcher block on the sink side. We also decided to make our own cabinet doors instead of refinishing the ones that came with the boxes. I started on that and made two of the smaller cabinet doors out of pallet wood. We think its going to look super cool with the jazzy yellow paint that will be on the cabinet boxes. We plan to use black handles on the doors and have already painted the hinges that came with the cabinets black so I hope that we will still be able to use them with the new cabinet doors
In my big girl, Edie's bed area I got all the finish walls in and ready to wall paper. Which I will hopefully order with the the bathroom wallpaper. I made a built in bookshelf for her and my son, Jackson, had a great idea to use shutters to close it all in so the stuff doesn't fall off the shelves when we are in motion. It looks really nice all finished and I can't wait to wallpaper. I have never wallpapered before but I never made a composting toilet before and that worked out pretty good so I'll take a stab at it.
One think I'm so not comfortable taking a stab at is the electrical and I need to get someone to help me with it. The whole front of the bus is still ripped up and I thought I would be building the cabinet above the driver's area before now. If anyone want to come help me with electrical I will gladly accept your help and bake you some chocolate chip banana bread to say thank you.
Oh yeah, we decided to pull the roof escape hatch and replace it with a sunlight. The sunlight is on it's way, taking the slow boat as everything ordered from Camping World does, but can't beat the price. We have a Good Sam membership so we save $$ at Camping World. We made this decision because the hatch is busted and despite many attempts we can not fix the leaks. Its also kinda gross and we don't want to spend any more time on it. A sunlight will be awesome in that spot because its a little dark in that area of the bus.
Nick is off for the next ten days and we hope to get a ton done. Although I did fill my schedule up quite full because I knew he would be home and I have two classes to teach we are going to bust it out. We are hoping to get the solar up on the roof and that would be huge because getting the solar up means electrical inside can get started and finishing the ceilings. It also means clearing a ton of space out of the garage which would be awesome. There is some rain in the forecast but, fingers-crossed, it will work out. If you don't already follow @livetowanderbus on Instagram do it now because all of the new stuff we are going to do this week will be posted there before I can blog about it. Off to work on the bus!